Whether you plan to propose, get married, go on a honeymoon, or simply just fall in love, Sri Lanka has enough and more to help kindle the romance. This island country with its endless beaches, rolling tea gardens, dense tropical forests, diverse wildlife, and exotic cuisine provides for a variety of intimate experiences. Here’s a list of romantic getaways that Sri Lanka has to offer.
1. Jungle Beach Resort: This luxury hotel in Trincomalee offers you the best of both beaches and jungles. It is situated along a 4km unspoiled stretch of private beaches and scrub jungle. You could choose a cabin facing the beach or the lagoon, or even pick a view of the jungle where you can hear bird songs along with the sound of waves. The hotel’s jungle-inspired style, excellent service, and flavourful cuisine will perfectly complement this romantic landscape.
2. Ceylon Tea Trails: There certainly is something about endless green tea gardens that inspires romance. Stay in colonial era tea planters’ bungalows and trek or bike through the estates. Take a tour of the manufacturing facilities and taste the finest teas of the world. Spend the evenings playing a game of croquet or tennis. You could even go white-water rafting, if you prefer something more adventurous. If you prefer a laid back experience, an adventurous one, or a mix of both, the Tea Trails are perfect for you.
3. Trains tours of Sri Lanka: The Sri Lankan railway system was introduced in 1864 by the British and it still retains much of its old-world charm. What better way to see the diverse Sri Lankan landscape than on a carriage being pulled by a steam engine? Go from dense forests to tea gardens to beaches on luxury railcars and indulge in gourmet meals. Soak in the sights and smells of Sri Lanka while you’re on the move.
4. Saman Villa: Set on top of a rocky outcrop overlooking the Indian Ocean in Bentota, the Saman Villa is all about location, location, location. It doesn’t come cheap, but it offers a world-class luxury experience. Each suite is private and has its own seaside lookout. There are several intimate dining locations, all by the sea. Saman Villa is known to host a one-of-a-kind luxury wedding experience.
5. Heritance Ahungalla: Geoffrey Bawa’s sustainable architecture can inspire romance in anyone. He is amongst Sri Lanka’s most prominent architects and the Heritance Ahungalla was built by him. With minimal decorations and nearly seamless integration with the environment, The Heritance Ahungalla has an earthy feel without compromising on luxury. Its award-winning cuisine and wine list is the perfect backdrop to a romantic experience.
6. Anilana, Pasikudah: Pasikudah is a little known gem among the Sri Lankan beaches. After shooting to popularity in 2009, a number of resorts a have spawned across its shallow coastline. Anilana is hidden away from the crowd, surrounded by a coral reef, and has rooms boasting of sweeping views of the Indian Ocean. Their internationally trained chefs cater to a variety of cuisines from all over the world, specialising in local seafood delicacies.